European Union / Switzerland / European Economic Area countries citizens may freely register as Portuguese Residents.
The Golden Residence Permit, created by a 2012 law, has a one-year validity from its issuance date, after which is renewable for successive two-year periods, and like other Portuguese residence permits enables free travel within the Schengen Area.
This temporary residence permit is granted to foreign investors who directly or through a single shareholder limited company undertake an investment in Portugal that meets one of the following requirements:
- 350.000 Euros in the acquisition and renovation of real-estate built more than 30 years ago or located in qualified urban rehabilitation areas, reduced to 280.000 Euros if located in so defined as low density areas; or
- 350.000 Euros for the acquisition of participation units in investment funds or venture capital funds, established according to the Portuguese law and specialized in the capitalization of companies, whose maturity at the time of the investment is at least five years and, 60% or more of the amount of the investments is carried out in commercial companies based in Portugal; or
- 350.000 Euros to be applied in scientific research activities developed by entities integrated in the Portuguese scientific and technological system, reduced to 280.000 Euros for investments in so defined as low density areas; or
- 250.000 Euros for investment or support of artistic production, or qualified recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage, carried out by accredited institutions, reduced to 200.000 Euros for investments in so defined as low density areas; or
- The investment creates at least 10 jobs in Portugal; reduced to 8 if the company is located in a so defined as low density area; or
- 350.000 Euros to incorporate a company in Portugal, creating 5 permanent jobs, or to increase the share capital of an existing company, combined with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of 5 permanent jobs maintained for minimum period of three years.
Investments undertaken through a company requires that the head-office is located in Portugal or in another EU country, provided there is a permanent establishment in Portugal.
The investment must be maintained for a minimum period of five years from the Golden Residence Permit issuance.
The real estate investments can be made in co-ownership, provided that the applicant invests at least the minimum value. Regarding the acquired properties, they may be leased or otherwise exploited for commercial, agricultural or tourist purposes.
The permit renewal demands that its holder should stay, consecutive days or not, at least 7 days in Portugal during the first year and at least 14 days during each of the two-year renewal periods.
The holders of the permit are allowed to work in Portugal, with the option of maintaining residence abroad. The right to family reunification provides that immediate family members are also eligible for a residence permit.
After 5 years permit holders may require permanent residency, for which they will be tested for basic knowledge of the Portuguese language; and after 6 years Portuguese citizenship and consequently Portuguese passport, may be applied for.